How to use a Western Digital “My Book” drive (Home Edition, but I don’t think that matters) in Windows 2003 Server:
- Follow instructions for normal connection using USB, then:
- Start -> My Computer -> (right-click) Manage Open Storage -> Disk Management External drive will appear in list of partitions, but it will be inactive and will not have a drive letter assigned.
- Right-click on the partition, select Mark Partition as Active
- Right-click on the partition again,
- select Change Drive Letter and Paths,
- click Add. Assign a drive letter.
- The drive should now be accessible.
This procedure should only be necessary the first time the drive is plugged in.